MARQUIS – EXPOSED AGGREGATE POOL FINISHES
MARQUIS is a factory blended mixture of polymer modified cement, quartz aggregates and various admixes specifically designed for the interior of swimming pools. Learn More
MARQUIS pool finish provides:
- Designer colors from Majestic Whites to Exotic Blues
- Custom Colors Available
- Durability for long term performance
- Slip Resistant
- Ease of Maintenance
- Ten Year Manufacturer Warranty
Click Here for Color Chart
All substrates must be free of dirt, grease, oil, dust, chalking or chipping paint or any foreign material that may prevent or inhibit proper bonding.
NOTE: Only the experienced applicator at pool side can make the decisions as to what surface preparation may be required.
1) On previously plastered pools it is necessary to grind around the tile, light niches, returns, etc., to allow for a smooth transition.
2) On previously painted pools, the surface must be sandblasted to remove the old paint completely.
3) Thoroughly wash surface with a TSP solution to remove body oils and suntan lotion. Acid wash with a 5Oi~O solution of muriatic acid and water; rinse with a neutralizing solution of baking soda and water and finally a rinse with clean water
4) An application of SUREBOND 80 is highly recommended on previously plastered surfaces as a bond or scratch coat to provide a uniform base for adhesion and even curing.
1) Use only potable water.
2) Uniformity from batch to batch is ensured by measuring water consistently from batch to batch and by mixing each batch the same amount of time.
3) Add only enough water to bring the material to a smooth lump-free consistency (approximately 2 to 2-1/2 gallons of water per bag).
4) Start the mixing process by adding
2/3 of the mixing water to the mixer. Add the appropriate amount of MARQUIS pool finish, then add the remaining 1 /3 water bringing the mixture to a workable consistency.
5) MARQUIS is a complete product and requires no other additives.
It is highly recommended that no CaCi (calcium chloride) be used to avoid any complications.
If you choose to use calcium chloride (CaC I), it must be used with caution as “more is NOT better. Follow these procedures.
ALWAYS pre-dissolve the CaCI and remove impurities by straining through cheesecloth. Remember, if you are using 77% CaCI, 23% is filler material that may or may not contain ingredients harmful to the finish product.
The range of CaCI is as follows:
77% purity: Maximum 1A lb. per bag of
MARQUIS. 94%-97% purity:
Maximum 1/3lb. per bag of MARQUIS.
NOTE: At the maximum addition rates, flash setting, trowel burning and other difficulties in both placing and finishing may occur.
1) After MARQUIS has been properly mixed, it may be trowel or spray applied over a dampened substrate. Recommended thickness is 3dB”.
2) Several trowel passes will be required to compact and level as MARQUIS pool finish “stiffens”.
DO NOT hard trowel the finish as it is not necessary and will only create more work during the finishing process.3) MARQUIS pool finishes are designed to be a monolithic coating. Sufficient personnel should be employed to eliminate cold joints. If the pool must be completed in phases, pre-determined stopping points must be used, such as tile lane markers, etc.4) Once the surface of the MARQUIS pool finish has set hard enough to allow light foot traffic, remove the “cream” or “fat” to expose the quartz aggregate by water washing with a soft bristle broom or soft sponge and water.The timing of the water wash can only be determined at the job site taking into consideration the factors of heat, humidity and substrate suction.5) After the finish has been water washed, the applicator may elect to clean the “haze” off the quartz by washing with a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid and water.The experienced applicator will determine when an acid wash is needed.6) It is acceptable to wait until the following day to acid wash, but the finish must be water washed the same day as application to ensure adequate quartz exposure.7) If the entire finishing process is completed in one day, fill the pool immediately. If you elect to leave the pool open until the next day to complete and acid wash, fill the pool immediately upon completion of the acid wash.